How to Self Publish with Doug Leko
Have you wondered how to go about writing and publishing a book? This episode, How to Self Publish with Doug Leko, gives you great insight into self publishing and working in the quilting industry.
Doug Leko has been quilting since he was a child. His family owed a quilt shop and he became infatuated with quilting at a young age. In fact, he wrote his first pattern at age 14! Doug has a degree in marketing and is the founder of Antler Quilt Design. You won’t want to miss his story and the helpful advice he offers!
In this episode, Elizabeth and Doug speak about:
- His advice on pattern design, and his process. He speaks on how your “look” will grow and evolve as you continue to design patterns.
- He shares the pros of self publishing and when it might be beneficial to go with a publisher.
- Printing your book! Doug talks about print on demand vs mass producing and what he recommends.
- How lucrative can publishing a book be? Why should you consider publishing a book over releasing a single pattern?
- What customers and students are looking for in a pattern. Hear his tips and things to keep in mind when writing a pattern.
- The evolution of the pattern over the last 15 years.
- He shares his experience as a Moda Rep.
- The future of Quilt Market and why Quilt Market is valuable.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE PODCAST
PAST EPISODES OF CRAFT TO CAREER
Check out these past episodes: