The Best Beginner Quilt Pattern
I have been working on a totally new kind of quilt pattern for some time now. I wanted a pattern that assumed NO prior quilt knowledge, that would be the best beginner quilt pattern. Some of the wording in quilt patterns can feel like a foreign language to new quilters, and can really turn people away from a hobby that I want more people to enjoy. I wanted to create a pattern that makes it easy and do-able for a brand new quilter to make their first quilt.
Introducing the ‘Better Together’ Quilt Pattern
That’s why I created the ‘Better Together’ quilt pattern. This pattern is unlike any other quilt pattern I’ve seen. I walk through quilting terms, as well as giving in-depth explanations each step of the way. I also created a video tutorial so people can see me do the things I write about. I tried to think of all the possible ways to help a new quilter be successful in making this quilt. It really is the best beginner quilt pattern.
Helping you make these Half Square Triangles
Showing you how I sew, helping you along the way
Why Half Square Triangles
- When thinking of a pattern for new quilters, I wanted a timeless design. Half square Triangles (HSTs) are the most classic, timeless quilt block I could think of. You can modernize them with different fabrics, but the look of the quilt top made of JUST Half Square Triangles is stunning, yet simple.
- Once a HST is conquered, a quilter is ready to move on to other quilt patterns.
- HSTs are the perfect place for a new quilter to learn Quilting.
Making This Quilt Your Own
I reached out to different beginning quilters to test this pattern. I love seeing how each person took this beginner quilt pattern and made it unique, just by switching the fabrics they used. Here are the different ‘Better Together’ quilt tops my pattern testers made.
From Megan of @megsaenz
From Karen of @bessiepearl
Notice how Karen added a border to her quilt to make it unique for her?
From Elisabeth of @quilt_with_e She made TWO!
From Rachel Bradley of @ohsewprettyquilts
From Amanda Chance of @modernly_mom
Better Together Quilt Variations by Quilters Candy
Long Arm Quilted by @ThreeBirdsandStitches with minky backing that adds a bit of fluff to the quilt
Machine Quilted on my Sewing Machine – linen backing
You can see the straight line quilting
Entirely hand quilted – linen backing
If you are a beginning quilter, and want the perfect beginning quilt pattern, you can get this ‘Better Together’ pattern HERE. If you are a more experienced quilter, you can use this pattern, as well. Just know that the wording of it is geared for a brand new quilter.
If you are looking for help with quilting, I have a few other tutorials you might find helpful.
- Quilt Binding – Bias Binding – Tutorial
- How to make Quick and Easy Fabric Bookmarks
- Download a FREE Quilt Care Card
- Make your own CHEAP and EASY Liquid Spray Starch
Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube channel so you can be the first to know when new tutorials are released.