Growing A Successful Quilting Career
Join me as I talk with Christa Watson of Christa Quilts as she shares her journey over the last 25 years as a successful business owner in the quilting industry. She shares her triumphs, her struggles and the impact she has through what she offers in the quilting market. Her story is inspirational for new and experienced business owners a like. Don’t miss the 100th episode of the Craft to Career Podcast! You won’t want to pass on the advice and business insight that Christa shares!
Growing A Successful Quilting Career
In this episode we talked about:
- How her quilting career started. She shares her story of how her business started 25 years ago.
- What the journey looked like merging the idea of quilting with business.
- Her underlying motivator over the years has been teaching. Seeing her students excited, made her excited.
- She shares what she is known for in the industry, which is machine quilting. Over the last 25 years she has sold quilts, taught, designed patterns and fabric among other things. She shares how she opened up an online fabric shop.
- There were 4 years in her business when things were really struggling. She shares about how she survived and what made her decide to keep going. what did she do to keep going and push through? In 2012 she refocused the business and decided to do what she really wanted to do. That was design fabric, write books and teach nationally.
- She had a quilt at the very first Quilt Con! Christa share why Quilt Con was a total game changer for her and her business!
- Christa shares how she got into fabric design. She attended a conference and two days after the conference, she got an offer, which set her out on the design path. Her first line came out in 2017.
- We talk a little about imposter syndrome and being YOU. It wasn’t until she had an interview that she realized her strength and really started to lean into it.
- Christa shares what the biggest pieces of her financial pie are.
- What if someone tells you no? We chat about how that can out a fire under you, to help motivate you to succeed.
Find Christa and her patterns, notions and all she has to offer on:
Her website christaquilts.com
You can also stop to see her at the 2023 Quilt Market (where she will have her new fabric line) or chat with her at Quilt Con!
THIS WAS THE 100TH EPISODE OF THE CRAFT TO CAREER PODCAST!!!
To celebrate, I have decided to award two prizes to my listeners! To qualify to win the prizes, please leave a review on Apple Podcast and screen shot that review THIS WEEK (March 17th-23rd, 2023). If you have previously left a review, thank you! You can screenshot that review and DM it to me.
The prizes are as follows:
- Win a FREE ONE HOUR COACHING CALL
- Win a FREE MONTH LONG COACHING MENTORSHIP. Meet for 45 minutes each week for 4 weeks to really get things moving in your business!
You do not have to be a quilty business to qualify for these prizes. I have mentored other creative businesses and would love to help you too!
Go leave your review this week! I will announce the winners on March 24, 2023!!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
If you enjoyed this episode of the ‘Craft to Career’ podcast, be sure to check out these other past episodes:
I’m so glad to have found your podcast! Each one I’ve listened to has had helpful interesting information. Thank you for your generosity in sharing your knowledge and experience.
Thank you Virginia! Appreciate you listening to the podcast and we plan to have more guests on to share their experiences with our audience!
Thank you, Elizabeth, for providing 100 episodes of great information for how to have a successful business in the quilt and craft industry!! I’ve listened to each one of your episodes, many several times, and so appreciate all that you share not only from your own business experience but also all of the insight your gracious guests provide. I have no doubt your podcast has helped my quilt business grow!! I look forward to the next 100 episodes and beyond! Cheers!
Elizabeth ChappellBonnie Osness
Thank you so much for your support Bonnie!
I loved to hear about Christa’s quilting career journey. She is so upbeat and excited about quilting. I also wanted to add that I open and read every email from you and watch the podcasts too. I do not have an Apple account so I can’t leave a review and apparently don’t qualify for the drawing of the giveaway coaching call 🙁 but if I could it would be 5 stars! I love your calm and friendly demeaner and always feel encouraged after listening to your podcasts. I am looking forward to the QAL and other ways to support the growth of Quilter’s Candy!
Elizabeth ChappellBettie Pharr
Thank you Bettie!
I enjoyed listening to how she grew her business and I was inspired to follow some of what she has done. I was trying to do it all I am going to focus on making the memories quilts.
Elizabeth ChappellJan Unghire
Thanks Jan! Love that you found your focus!