PILLOW BACKING INSTRUCTIONS
Taking your (2) Pillow Backing sleeve pieces of fabric (from instructions found HERE):
- Place them on the back of your completed quilted pillow.
- Make sure the pieces don’t overhang from your completed pillow. If they do, trim.
- Also make sure that the pieces overlap each other. See below.
PILLOW SLEEVE EDGING
Taking the larger piece of pillow backing fabric that measures 20 ½” x 14″:
- Find an edge that measures 20 ½”.
- Fold that edge back ½”.
- Press with an iron.
- Fold it back again ½” and press with the iron.
SEWING YOUR FOLDED EDGE
Now that you have an edge of your pillow backing folded twice and pressed in place, it’s time to sew it.
- Bring your folded and pressed pillow backing piece to your sewing machine.
- Sew along the folded edge, as close to the edge of your folded seam as you can. See picture below.
NOTE: I am using a Baby Lock Crescendo Sewing Machine – it has a built in laser that you will see my using below.
Be sure to backstitch at the beginning and end of your stitch to secure your sewing.
FINISHED SEWN PILLOW EDGE
SEWING YOUR PILLOW BACKING TO YOUR PILLOW TOP
- Place your quilted pillow top right side up. This means your quilt top design that you want showing will be facing you.
- Next place the sewn edged pillow backing on top of the quilted pillow top.
- Lastly, place your open edge quilt backing piece one top. Make sure that the two backing pieces of fabric overlap.
- Pin all pieces in place. (See below)
- Bring your pillow to the sewing machine and using a ¼” seam, sew all edges.
FINISHING YOUR PILLOW
Now your pillow is complete! You just need to flip it inside out, and you can put your pillow insert inside.