In this episode, ADHD + Entrepreneurs (my experience), I share about my recent diagnosis of ADHD Inattentive type and some very interesting things relating to entrepreneurship. The goal of this episode is to empower you! There may be things in your life that you feel are a disadvantage, or a hinderance, that seem to get in the way of success. BUT- I invite you to listen to this episode and start to look at things differently. What you perceive to be a disadvantage, might just be the thing that sets you apart and gives you THE advantage.
With ADHD, like with anything in life, there are pros and there are cons, there are ups and there are downs. It is all how you look at things and what you choose to focus on. If things are rough, pick yourself up and frame it differently and look at it as a positive. If you happen to have ADHD too, know you are not alone! Surround yourself with people who accept you for you and see the good in you. who take those things you struggle with and love you in spite of or even because of.
ADHD + Entrepreneurs (my experience)
What I talk about in this episode:
- I share what ADHD has looked like in my life. What was my tipping point when I decided I needed help? I share a few stories from my college years and open up to you with some real life examples of different ways that it has manifested.
- The fascinating thing about some of the traits of ADHD that are troubling life (as I am sure it is the same with other struggles as well) is that they can actually be beneficial in starting a business.
Here are some of the traits of ADHD and how they may be a benefit as a business minded individual.
These thing seem to be common in people who have ADHD:
- A Hyper-focus. Not an inability to focus like most people think. This can help with a business and I tell you how.
- Impulsivity…fire, ready, aim action. Sometimes as a new entrepreneur you may plan and think about things and then be afraid to make a move and carry those plans into action. As an entrepreneur with ADHD, the jump in and do it can be helpful to some degree.
- Attention Deficit…not paying attention to the details. I share a story here and why if you’re scared of the details and want perfection, you will have a hard time moving forward. I also share things I have learned and what I needed to implement in this area. Finding ways to cope and having strategies like automation is so helpful for those with ADHD.
- Very Creative! Outside of the box- come up with solutions thinkers. This is a positive trait for an entrepreneur. Ideas aren’t the problem- its narrowing down and focusing that is tricky.
- Always searching for better ways to do things and how to make things more efficient. This is obviously a plus.
- Mental Boredom. Boredom is like kryptonite for those with ADHD! We always want to get to the point, and quickly! BUT, this can help in business and in teaching.
- You tend to hyper-focus on things you find interesting.
Books that I mention in this episode are:
- David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants by Malcom Gladwell
- ADHD 2.0by Edward M. Hallowell, John J. Ratey
Coming in 2023 – a new mini podcast released every week! Be on the look out for my Mindset Mondays!
SUBSCRIBE TO THE PODCAST
PAST EPISODES OF CRAFT TO CAREER