Learn to make PERFECT Half Square Triangles with Slotted Trimmer Rulers
Make perfect Half Square Triangles with Slotted Trimmers, my new favorite HST ruler from New Leaf. Let me show you what the rulers look like and how to use them.
How To Use Slotted Trimmers
- Make a Half Square Triangle as normal. Start by sewing two squares right sides together, on both sides of a drawn, diagonal line.
- Cut ON the drawn line. At this point, do NOT open your fabric or press seams.
- Take your Slotted Trimmer Ruler. Whatever size your Half Square Triangle should be (unfinished), find that size on your ruler.
- Line up the dotted line that has your unfinished size listed above it ON your seam. You can see that my unfinished HST will be 2 ½”. So I lined the 2 ½” dotted line ON my seam.
- Trim your HST.
- This is when the SLOTTED part of the rulers come into play. Using your rotary cutter, cut the dog ears off your HST. Use the slots that are right BELOW your marked line. (For mine it would be the lots right below the 2 ½” dotted line).
- Now that your HST is trimmed to the right size and the dog ears are trimmed off, you can open your HST and press your seams to one side. Use and iron to press your HST. Notice that the Half Square Triangle measures EXACTLY 2 ½”. See how easy it is to make perfect Half Square Triangles with Slotted Trimmers. Perfection!
Two Different Slotted Trimmers
You will notice that there are two sets of rulers that come in a package. One ruler is for Half Square Triangles that are FULL inches. The other ruler is for HALF inch increments. I can not think of a better or easier way to make Half Square Triangles than using these Slotted Trimmer rulers.