Learn how to glue baste this week for the After The Rain Quilt Along. Welcome to WEEk 3 of the Quilt Along.
First I will share how to glue baste, and then I’ll share LAST WEEK’S WINNER and NEXT WEEK’S PRIZE!
Once I learned how to glue baste, my curves have been ALMOST perfect! To say I am a fan would be an understatement.
SUPPLIES FOR GLUE BASTING
Really, all you need for glu ebasting is some glue and the fabric you are going to sew together. Okay, and a sewing machine. 😉 I used my Baby Lock Jubilant sewing machine.
The glue stick I use and love is Sewline. It’s got a blue glue stick that is replaceable. It’s thin, accurate, and the glue doesn’t gum up your machine or stick toi your needles. It also washes out easily.
HOW TO GLUE BASTE
Now that you have your glue stick (if not Sewline, any will work, really), it’s time to do the actually glueing. And on curves it can feel tricky.
I created a video to show you just how to glue baste and sew your curves.
GLUE BASTING STEP BY STEP
Let me break down the steps in the video here for you, step by step.
- Crease curved pieces in the center.
- Pin fabrics together in the center and apply glue to the larger piece of fabric. Make sure there is a thin line of glue all along the edge where the two fabrics will connect.
- Firmly press two fabrics together along the glue line. Note: The fabric underneath (the larger fabric) will be bunched up a bit. Just make sure where the glue is, the fabrics are pulled tight and aren’t bunched in that area.
- NOTE: make sure both edges line up, as shown below by the orange arrows.
- Bring glued fabric to your machine. As you sew, be sure to turn your fabric slightly to keep your seam allowance consistent.
- Open your curved pieces. If there are wrinkles, spray fabric with spray starch and iron. I use Magic Spray for quilters.
And VOLIA! You have a perfectly sewn and pieced curved fabric. Well done!
WEEK 2 QAL WINNER
Congratulations to the week 2 winner, @abbymaed. Here is her photo that she posted. Abby is the lucky winner of a free Oliso Smart iron! Congratulations, Abby!
WEEK 3 PRIZE
Win a Fat Quarter bundle of the brand new fabric line, ‘TAILS AND THREAD’ by my friend Patty Basemi. This line, from Art Gallery Fabrics, is adorable and even comes with a panel to use!
- Post a photo of your pieced rainbows on Instagram. NOTE: This needs to be a post, not in your stories. Otherwise I can’t search and find your photo.
- Use the Hashtags:
- Follow @PattyBasemi.
How To MAke A Jelly Roll Rug - Quilters Candy
[…] Glue Basting […]